Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali Recipe: Tum Ikan
Tum Ikan is a delicious Indonesian dish, very common in Bali. This dish is a speciality at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali. You can try it out yourself at home.
- 600 g fish, minced (barracuda or swordfish are recommended)
- 1 tbsp shallots, chopped and fried
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped and fried
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, thick
- 3 tbsp basic spice paste (see below)
- 4 bird’s eye chillies, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 12 pieces banana leaf, cut into 20 cm (8 inches) squares
- 12 salam leaves (Indonesian bay leaves) for the Basic Spice Paste
- 10 g turmeric, crushed
- 100 g shallots, sliced
- 50 g garlic, sliced
- 20 g galangal, sliced
- 20 g candlenuts, crushed
- 10 g Chinese ginger, sliced
For the spice paste, grind all the ingredients until smooth, then sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
Combine all the ingredients, except for the banana leaf pieces and
salam leaves, and mix well.
Fold a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the centre of a banana leaf and wrap. Repeat for all 12 pieces.
Steam parcels for about 15 minutes, until well cooked.
Scatter the salam leaves over the parcels, and serve with steamed rice.
For fish lovers, Tum Ikan is a must try dish when in Bali. To find out more about what Indonesia has to offer then speak to one of our experts on 020 7843 3531 or email@example.com.