Exquisite and exotic, Mauritius is an island for all seasons, all weathers and all tastes. The interior offers mountains and forests, waterfalls and sparkling rivers alongside the occasional dormant volcano. Of all the Indian Ocean Islands, Mauritius is the most cosmopolitan. For centuries it was a useful and strategic staging post for traders, wayfarers, pirates and conquerors and has absorbed what it has needed from all of them – the French and English, the Indians and East Africans not to mention the Dutch and Chinese – in attitude, language, religion, food and joie de vivre. Its coastline is near perfect with acres of pristine beaches and bright blue seas – all fringed by coral reefs. Mauritius is a haven for both sun seekers and water sports aficionados.
- Climb Le Morne Mountain for an incredible view over the island
- Take a private catamaran ride along stunning coastline to your own private beach
- Experience the colonial history of the island with traditional afternoon tea
- Relax on some of the most spectacular white sand beaches
- Take part in some of the many varied watersports including snorkelling, diving and even try out a submarine dive?
Summer: November - April with temperatures reaching 34ºC on the coast. There is high humidity December-April but this is countered by the constant sea breeze, so is hardly felt. Cyclones can occur between January and March, and during this time the northeast of the island is more protected from the southeast trade winds.
Winter: May - October with the temperatures only dropping a few degrees. There is still abundant sunshine, with sea temperatures reaching 24ºC.
Best time to go
Mauritius really is a year-round destination with October to April forming the peak holiday period.
We recommend visiting anytime between April and December, avoiding the rainy season.
- Capital – Port Louis
- Currency – Mauritian Rupee
- Point of Entry – Port Louis
- Airlines – British Airways, Air Mauritius
- Flying Time – 11 hrs 45 mins
- Time Zone – GMT + 4 hrs
- Visa – Not required
- Try kite surfing in a beautiful lagoon - it's one of the world's top spots and the instructors are some of the best around.