Getting to Bhutan may take a few stops, but the beauty of the Mountain Kingdom certainly makes it worth every effort. Nestled in the capital city of the mountain kingdom of Bhutan, the Taj Tashi is built in the traditional Dzong style and looks over the ancient Thimphu Valley. Capturing the Bhutanese culture, the luxury hotel has combined the ancient architecture and cultural nuances with modern technology giving you an authentic yet comfortable five star experience. Enjoy the fiery local cuisine complimented by a traditional dancer display or explore the surrounding city’s many taste delights. Activities are ample with the cultural sights and nature trails to explore, or simply relax in the hotel’s excellent spa Jiva, where your troubles will simply melt away.
- The Jiva Spa that allows guests to participate in excellent luxury spa treatments.
- Variety of cuisine served, from European to Bhutanese, in the hotel's four different dining locations.
- Beautiful distinctive location with stunning views.
- Indoor heated pool & fitness centre.
- Excellently situated with stunning views over the valley and surrounding mountains
Best time to go
Best seasons are from mid September to end of October or from March to May. The Thimphu Festival takes place in either late September or early October each year
The Bhutanese do things differently; yet they have a wonderful sense of hospitality with every guest welcomed into their traditional way of life with a heartfelt blessing performed by a Buddhist Monk. Combined with the spectacular views and pristine service, you’ll want for nothing when staying at this premier hotel in Thimphu.
- Indoor Pool
- Laundry service
- Bicycle rental
- Conference rooms
- Safety deposit boxes
- Jiva Spa
- Fitness Center
- Golf course
- Car Park
Dining is available throughout the day at a choice of two restaurants, tea lounge and bar. Both continental and Asian cuisine is available.
Chig-Ja-Gye offers traditional Bhutanese cuisine amid the intricate gold leaf paintings and dhung décor.
The Thongsel is an all day coffee shop offering both western and traditional meals amidst a light and airy ambience with views out onto the misty mountains surrounding the valley.
The ‘Rimps’ tea lounge serves a selection of teas and coffee complimented by an assortment of confectionery offerings with murals of double Dorjes to contemplate while enjoying the ‘salted butter’ tea or their other fine offerings.
Ara - Named after Bhutan’s traditional liquor, Ara is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a refreshing evening drink after a busy day.
Spacious, luxuriously appointed rooms capture the essence of Bhutanese art and architecture in a contemporary setting. The rooms offer exquisite views of the mountains and the town of Thimpu. 66 Rooms and suites include
- 48 deluxe rooms offering a spacious room with mountain views and luxurious bathrooms that include floor warmers and towel heaters
- 4 deluxe rooms with sit-out offer a space to escape. ideal for sipping a cup of steaming tea or a romantic dinner for two. Bathrooms are fitted with luxurious amenities, floor warmers and towel heaters
- 5 luxury rooms are more spacious than the deluxe rooms and are situated at the corner of each floor with sweeping views over the valley or mountainside. Bathrooms are fitted with floor warmers and towel heaters.
- 3 deluxe suites are situated on the upper floors of the hotel overlooking the valley and offer a bedroom, sitting room and walk in closet with a luxuriously fitted bathroom with heated floor and towel rails and a stand alone bath
- 2 duplex suites are situated on the top floor with a spacious living area and upstairs bedroom, private sitting room, dressing area with bathroom with luxurious fittings, free standing bath and heated floor and towel rails.
- 4 luxury suites are each situated on the top floor with views out onto two sides of the hotel giving the best views of the surrounding historic architecture and natural surroundings. The expansive suites offer a spacious lounge area, dressing room, bedroom with canopy bed and opulently furnished bathroom with free standing bath.
- Duplex Suite - This 900 sq ft. suite offers its guests an impressive amount of space, accompanied with breath taking views of the valley. The suite has a sitting room, a bedroom that is accessed via a spiral staircase, and a bathroom with its own dressing area, stylish standalone bath tub, fine fittings, as well as floor warmers and bath towel heaters.
- Luxury Suite - The Luxury suites provide guests with the ultimate luxury travel experience. The rooms are an impressive 1100 sq ft, and offer an awe-inspiring two-sided view of the valley and mountains. The suite includes an expansive living room, canopy bed, bedroom with a walk-in closet and a vast bathroom that has been built with all the amenities and more.
Best Room/Top Tips
- Rooms on the higher floors offer a fantastic view into the city and valley below
- The deluxe rooms with balconies are lovely for enjoying the fresh mountain air and fantastic views
- Take time to see the Dochula Pass with breath taking views across the snow capped mountains to Tibet and the 108 holy ‘stupas’ (memorials) to Bhutanese soldiers
- Golf course (within 3 km)
- Fitness centre
- Spa and wellness centre
- Bicycle rental
- Local sightseeing to the Sakyamuni Buddha, Dzhongs and Botanical Gardens
- Visit to ‘The Dzong’, Folk Heritage Museum and the National Textile Museum
- Nature trails
- Local textiles and crafts tours
Children are welcome to the Taj Tashi. We recommend the twin room suite that allows space for the family in two bedrooms and a shared living area. Children under 8 years stay free of charge