COMO Shambhala Estate
A sublime wellness retreat which specialises in proactive holistic wellbeing and which is based on healthy eating, exercise and self-development. The retreat is hidden in the forests of Ubud in the centre of the island, with the sparkling Ayung River meandering through it.
- Savour some of the best food on the island
- Explore the unspoiled surrounding and lush rice paddie fields
- Get drawn into the rich Balinese culture
Best time to go
May to October are generally considered the best times of year to travel with average temperatures around 31°C. Rainy season is between December and March.
Enjoy an idyllic location just outside Ubud overlooking the Ayung River. The Estate is perched on the edge of a tropical jungle full of birds and monkeys, while a nearby village provides doses of local colour. A real Balinese retreat to relax and rejuvenate.
- Personal assistants assigned to each residence and villa
- Travel and tour arrangements
- Fitness centre
- In-room dining
- Laundry and dry cleaning service
- The following health facilities are located at Ojas (Sanskrit for 'Essence of Life'), the main treatment area:
- 9 treatment rooms (including three for couples)
- Outdoor hydrotherapy area with Vitality Pool
- Separate male/female sauna
- Lap pool
- Yoga pavilion
- Kedara (Sanskrit for 'The Water Gardens') features the following:
- 4 treatment pavilions
- Pilates studio equipped with Reformer, Cadillac and Wunder Chair
- A fully-equipped gym is located adjacent to Kudus House. There is also a climbing wall.
Glow Restaurant - Glow is known for its energising COMO Shambhala cuisine - light salads and revitalising juices. Although it does focus on the healthier side of life, the menu is extensive and very delicious. It's modern in design with all the side open to the element, and in the evening, lives up to its name as it glows.
Kudus House - Kudus House serves up a truly unique dining experience. It showcases what is great about the regions food from their diverse influences, flavours and spices. The setting is quite intimate as you relax in the picturesque, and simply idyllic former Javanese residence.
In room dining - Enjoy Indonesian and international dishes as well as COMO Shambhala Cuisine in the comfort of your room.
With clusters of rooms, suites, villas and residences, it gives the impression of a mini village, making COMO Shambhala Retreat a true home-away-from-home. For this reason it appeals not to just individuals with specific wellness goals, but dramatic and unique accommodation suite couples, single travellers, groups and families.
Rooms & Suites - All of the rooms and suites are decorated individually, but the traditional Balinese theme is very much kept the same, through teak floors and wooden furniture. All the rooms are one or two bedded and have access to the Residence's pools, lounge and shaded pavilions.
Retreat Villas - The cool and contemporary one-bedroom Retreat Villas have host a private pool, lounge area and are in the perfect location for escaping to the Estate's principle wellness areas - Ojas. The two-bedroom, two-floor Retreat Villas sit close to the tennis courts and have a private pool and outdoors terraces spoiling you with views overlooking the forest. All the Retreat Villas have service from a personal assistant, and feature pools with Jacuzzi jets.
Private Villas - Designed by the interior marvel Cheong Kuan, the four Private Villas are incredibly modern, spacious and airy, and vary from being two to three levels. They range from two or three bedrooms, with the highlight being the outdoor private pools, which are infinity edged and overlook the stunning landscape. They are individual in style, from one being located within the bamboo (Gesing Kanila Villa), to one with its own yoga deck (Sukma Taru).
Residences - The Residences are ideal for groups of friends or families when taken in their entirety. The five Residences each have four or five suites as well as a large swimming pool, which reflects the natural environment. Featuring last lounge areas for when the sun becomes too hot, to a study room which can be transformed into a private treatment room, library or bedroom. They are calm, relaxing and offer you the most privacy with the option of joining the rest of the Estate.
- Personal fitness sessions are offered alongside daily yoga, Pilates, tai chi, walking, biking and trekking. Active guests can also sign up for a guided challenge. These include the 'Mount Batur Dawn Ascent', a 1-3 hour climb of Mount Batur to witness sunrise, and a Bike Challenge to Kintamani, a spot high on the crater rim of Mount Batur. Guests can also go river rafting and play tennis.
- Guided scenic nature trails, rice paddy walks and hiking
- Martial arts including Tai Chi and Chi Gong
- Aqua circuit training in the Vitality Pool
- Outdoor circuit training
- Mountain biking
- Outdoor, flood-lit tennis
- Custom-designed cultural/special interest tours
- Museum, temple and gallery visits
- Cooking demonstrations and classes
- Pilates mat classes
- Group wellness retreats
Young children are not specifically encouraged, but are welcome in the private villas. Under-12s stay free; otherwise an extra bed in rooms is additional. Babysitting can be arranged and the kitchen can rustle up special meals for children.